Published on November 19th, 2018 | by Sunit Nandi0
Make Changes To Your Aadhar Card Details online With These Few Simple Steps
Having an Aadhar card has become a necessity for every Indian citizen. Without the Aadhar card it is nearly impossible to get basic official work done. If you don’t have an Aadhar card, you should apply for one at the earliest. Without an Aadhar card you won’t be able to make a passport application, open a new bank account, file your taxes or even get a new mobile connection. In order to apply for your Aadhar card you need to visit your local enrolment centre. You will have to make a personal visit when applying for the Aadhar card because your biometric profiling will be require. The biometric profiling will include your retina scan and fingerprint.
Am I Eligible For An Aadhar Card?
As long as you’re an Indian citizen, you’re eligible to get your own Aadhar card. An Aadhar card can only be taken on the name of an individual and not on a family name. Senior citizens, infants, adults and children are all eligible for an Aadhar card. You can apply for your Aadhar card at your local Aadhar enrolment centre. Parents or guardians will have to apply for the Aadhar card of dependants or children under the age of 18.
What Is An Aadhar Card?
An Aadhar card is a unique identification card that serves as address and identity proof of the card holder. The concept of the Aadhar card is very similar to that of the social security number of the United States. This card holds all your personal details including your full name, mobile number, email address, finger print and retina scan. Every Aadhar card also has a unique 12 digit number. The best part about the Aadhar card is that it cannot he misused in any way. Theft and fraud with this document are also nearly impossible.
How Long Is The Aadhar Card Valid For?
The Aadhar card doesn’t have an expiry date. It has a lifelong validity. Unlike your passport and driving license, you will not need to get your Aadhar card renewed every few years. However, in the event that your personal details change (via marriage, through change of residential address or mobile number and so on), you will need to update or correct your Aadhar card in accordance. Updating your Aadhar card can be done in a few simple steps. Let’s now discuss the two main ways in which your Aadhar card can be corrected.
Aadhar Card Correction Online
As long as your mobile number remains the same, you can make changes to your personal details through the Aadhar online portal. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Log onto the Aadhar portal and click on the Aadhar update button.
- Fill in the required text and hit the “get OTP” button.
- You will receive your OTP on your registered mobile number as a text.
- Fill in the OTP on the Aadhar portal box and hit login.
- The data update page will appear and you need to click on the fields that require change.
- Fill in the necessary details that need change and hit the submit button.
- Select the document which you need to upload from the drop-down menu.
- Upload the document and hit the submit button.
- You will see BPO Service Provider Selection page there you can select the available service provider.
- The approximate time that it will take for the Aadhar update will now flash on the screen.
- You will also receive a URN number (update request number) that will help you track the status of your Aadhar update.
Aadhar Change Through Post
If you need to get your mobile number on your Aadhar card changed, you will have to get your change done through the postal system. You need to download the Aadhar update form. Once the form is downloaded, fill in the fields that require change. Attach self attested copies of proof of the change that you need to make. Make sure that the form is filled in English or in the language that the original application form was filled out in. Put the documents in a sealed envelope. Mention “Aadhar update or correction” on the top of the envelope and post it to the UIDAI office.
Benefits Of Aadhar Card
Having an updated Aadhar card is beneficial for the following reasons:
- With the help of the Aadhar card, you can instantly open up a new bank account without needing hundreds of other documents and identity and Andre proofs.
- The passport application process becomes hassle-free with the Aadhar card. You can receive your Aadhar card in as less as ten days. The police verification can be completed after receipt of the passport.
- You can get your LPG subsidy transferred directly into your bank account with the help of your Aadhar card. You need to link your 12 digit Aadhar number with your 17 digit LPG consumer number and once the linking process is complete you will receive your subsidy in your bank account.
- Linking of the Aadhar card with your PAN card is necessary for you to be able to pay your income tax. This also helps in preventing the use of black money in the country.
- You cannot apply for a new mobile number (postpaid or prepaid) without your Aadhar card. All existing mobile users also need to link their mobile numbers to their Aadhar cards.
- If you wish to apply for the Jan Dhan Yojana scheme offered by the prime minister, your Aadhar card alone is proof enough to make an application. Through this scheme you will get a new zero balance savings bank account, a RuPay debit card, life insurance, accident insurance, medical insurance and several other benefits.
In the event that you lose your Aadhar card, you can always get a duplicate copy of the Aadhar card from your nearest enrolment centre or even get an eAadhar card online through the Aadhar portal. The Aadhar card is an essential and convenient identity and address proof that every Indian citizen must have.