Published on June 10th, 2020 | by Sunit Nandi0
What Qualifications Do I Need For Digital Marketing
Digital marketing is a way of marketing that is totally done with the internet using electronic and digital devices. In other words, any form of marketing that exists online is digital marketing. There is significant growth in online shopping from the past few years, so the way of offline marketing is not as effective as it used to be. Digital marketing channels such as social media, emails, mobile and web applications, search engines, and websites have taken over.
Today a large number of people are spending their time on the internet, and digital marketing helps in connecting with the audience at the right time and the right place. It is an effective way to attract, engage, and delight customers online.
The major facets of digital marketing include:
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- SEM (search engine marketing)
- Content marketing
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Web analysis
- Influencer marketing
- E-commerce marketing
Let us know how is a career in digital marketing and how can a digital marketing course help you get started.
Digital Marketing as a Career
In today’s digital generation, the use of computers, smartphones, and any other internet-based digital devices have become increasingly popular, so do the number of job opportunities in digital marketing. There is a huge requirement of skilled and trained digital marketers across various countries. Freshers are also searching for a better career in the evolving field of digital marketing.
Listed below are some of the top job roles in digital marketing along with their average salaries (as per Payscale).
- Digital Marketing Manager- Digital project managers play a critical role in implementing digital campaigns. Their work begins with laying out projects, setting milestones, creating timelines, and managing budgets. The average digital marketing manager salary in the United States is at around $82,450.
- SEO and SEM specialist- The work of SEO and SEM specialist is to get maximum traffic to their websites and to get ranked highly on search engine result pages. They create good content to get seen by the target audience. The salary of SEO and SEM specialists in the US is $67475.
- Pay Per Click Manager- The PPC manager has expertise in driving successful pay per click, paid search, and display campaign. Google analytics and budget management are also demanding skills for this job.
- Data Analysts- The job of Data Analysts is to collect data and information to categorize and analyze. Data analysts create systems to organize and examine this data for their company’s marketing campaign.
- Content Strategist- Content strategists are developing content that tailors the company’s objective and target audience. They are using tools to find out which topics engage the audience and drive traffic to view the company’s digital media. Payscale reports the average salary of a content manager is $ 57,734.
- Email Marketing Specialist- Email marketing specialists have strong writing and editing skills to create and launch email campaigns. They maintain databases with customer information and various lists.
- User Experience Designer- User Experience designers develop websites, content, products, and applications in a way that encourages customers to follow with purchase. Their goal is to increase sales and lead generations.
- Social Media Marketer- Social media marketers communicate with the company’s customers across various social media platforms. They create content to attract and engage the right audience at the right time and also try to understand customer’s behavior towards the brand. $49,881 is the average salary of social media marketers in the US.
- Virtual Reality Developer- Virtual reality developer is a high-tech job for those who have strong backgrounds in technology and creative arts. Virtual reality products are becoming increasingly popular.
- Internet of Things (IoT) Marketing Specialist- Various web-based activities are performed on digital devices such as tablets, smartphones, smartwatches, and other devices. IoT marketing specialists collect data from these devices to create campaigns for people who use such devices.
Qualifications Needed For Digital Marketing
As digital marketing is an evolving and ever-changing field, so there is no definitive road map or route to becoming a digital marketer. Most of the employers want to see the successful completion of an industry-recognized introductory digital marketing course. If candidates are taking courses, training, and certifications, they are able to earn the fundamental skills, knowledge base, confidence, and obtain a working understanding of the key principles or areas that make up the vast majority of digital marketing jobs.
The best thing about a career in digital marketing is it doesn’t require any specific college degree. Graduates from any stream can try starting a career in this domain if they are eager to. A Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or any related degree is also beneficial. Even if you are in the technology sector, you can make a switch to digital marketing.
Now qualifications in terms of soft skills required for digital marketing include:
- Being digital savvy
- Know-how of social media
- Persuasion skills
- Analytical skills
Beginners can also enroll in a sector-specific digital marketing course on disciplines such as
Social Media Marketing, Email Marketing, Social Marketing, Content and Inbound Marketing, Digital Strategy and Planning.
There are a variety of certification courses that are basic and serve as the foundation for a career in Digital Marketing.
- Adwords Search Certification by Google
- Hubspot’s Academy’s Inbound Certification
- Simplilearn’s Digital Marketing Specialist Masters Program
- Google Analytics certification
- Facebook Blueprint Certification
- Adwords Display Certification by Google
- Hubspot’s Email Marketing Certification
- Bing Ads Accredited Professional Certification
There are a number of options at your disposal when it comes to Digital Marketing. There is a lot to learn and explore. While there is no specific degree required for a job in digital marketing, by completing a well-rounded digital marketing course one can enhance the chances of landing the digital marketing job of their dreams considerably.