Published on January 17th, 2020 | by Sunit Nandi0
SEO Risks To Take And Avoid
Many business owners fail to understand the value of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). The internet is filled with information that may or may not be correct, making it difficult to decide what is right or wrong.
For example, you plan to revamp your website because your organic reach has been decreasing over the past few months. It brings an opportunity to undo everything you’ve done wrong and follow the best SEO practices.
Every business encounters varying levels and types of risk. Well calculated risks often yield fruitful results but it is essential to know which risk will affect your business negatively. Efficient SEO planning and execution take a few months to yield results, but if done right, make you stand firm against your competitors. Below is a list of some SEO risks to consider and those to completely avoid.
Risks Worth Taking
- Altering URLs – Changing existing URLs can be a risky experiment that may affect your organic reach in the short term. But if done right, it will optimise your website to perform way better than before. Most SEO experts suggest that your website URLs should contain specific keywords. They should also describe the contents of the page briefly. Also, try to be as precise as possible with the URLs.
Consider taking the help of best Adelaide SEO services as they will be aware of the well-performing keywords. They will alter a few web pages first, analyse the response, and proceed accordingly.
- High-quality Backlinks (give and take) – Why would you link to another website and redirect your user to it? It’s called backlinking and it is a very useful SEO tactic. You would always want sites to redirect their users to your website, but you’ll have the return the same favour.
By using backlinks of high-quality websites, you’re proving to Google that your site uses information from websites with authority. If reputable websites refer to your content, it demonstrates that your content is genuine and will add value to the user, making Google rank your site better.
Just keep in mind that your website should not redirect to malicious or spammy sites as Google may then penalise you.
Risks To Avoid
- Avoid Using the Exact Keywords in Anchor Text – It is rightly said that ‘excess of everything is bad’ and this point proves the same. It is logical to use targeted keywords in the anchor text, but people used this strategy so much that it got overexploited. Google now imposes very harsh penalties to those who do this.
- Making a Lot of Small Changes – SEO experts tend to make small changes regularly to keep the website updated. It is a good habit to keep your website updated but making a lot of these changes will usually portray your website as suspicious, and Google will penalise you for it.
- Disallowing Neutral Backlinks – High-quality backlinks are always good for your website. But what about neutral backlinks? Neutral backlinks are those which do not benefit your website but not cause any harm by risking it to hefty penalties.
- Deleting a Page – You may be discontinuing a product and think of removing its webpage as well. It seems logical to do this but isn’t good practice. If you delete an entire webpage, you will also lose the ranking you had for a particular keyword. If you face a similar situation, use a 301 redirect page. The traffic coming to the older webpage will be redirected to a new page.
SEO is a tricky thing for most business owners. On one hand, they need to focus on growing their business and on the other, focus on increasing their digital footprint. Getting the help of SEO Adelaide experts will help you focus more on business growth than worry about the risks that are worth taking or not.