Published on September 2nd, 2019 | by Guest0
Building Information Modelling Benefits Per Profession
Building Information Modelling (BIM) is gaining popularity in the architectural, construction, and engineering industries. It allows professionals to create an accurate virtual model of a building digitally. With the help of BIM, companies can reduce overall industrial construction cost, increase productivity and quality of work. Building information modeling (BIM) has been around the AEC (architecture, engineering, and construction) industry for about a decade, but it became popular in the last two years.
What is Building Information Modelling?
Business Information Modelling aka BIM is a digital file (intelligent 3D model-based process) that provides all the required insights and data to the AEC professionals to plan, design, construct, and manage buildings more efficiently. It is more than just a 3D model because some of them even include time (4D), cost (5D), and built operation (6D). BIM is used in industrial construction.
Advantages of Building Information Modelling
- Capture Reality: The amount of information provided by BIM about project sites has been expanding with the evolution of technology. BIM compiles all the information such as aerial image and digital elevation of project sites along with laser scans of existing infrastructure. It also helps AEC professionals in streamlining project preparations and accurately capturing reality.
- Simulate and Visualize: BIM helps professionals visualize how things will be once the construction is complete such as the sunlight during different seasons or how much energy will the building consume. With one click of a button, AEC professionals can achieve peak performance.
- BIM reduces Re-work while improving productivity: According to experts, BIM brings very high value for the business and brings high return on investment in the business. As it helps in fixing errors early, resulting in fewer issues in the field. In fact, it also reduces field errors. Fewer errors mean low loss in the overall construction.
- Helps in Acquiring New Clients: Since BIM improves the quality of work while reducing the overall construction cost, companies can also introduce the technology to new clients and use it as a marketing feature to take them as clients.
- Project Outcome: More than 48% of owners have experienced that BIM has a huge impact on the project outcome. Internal value of BIM to the build-team members such as reduced problems, improved personal satisfaction, and better client relationships benefit owners a lot in the long-run.
Benefits of BIM per profession
BIM not only helps the project, but it also helps all the professionals involved in the design and construction process.
- Architects: Architects are one of the professionals who benefit the most from BIM. Around 43% of contractors and 41% of owners say architects experience a high level of value in the design phases.
- Structural Engineers: Structural engineers gather information such as steel columns, beams, and trusses with the help of BIM. It also provides significant benefits to the contractors.
- Construction Managers and Contractors: Reducing re-work can help construction managers and general contractors save a lot of money in overall building construction. As a result, owners will gain high value on a project.
- Fabricators: BIM indicates the accurate fabrication of materials required. It reduces conflicts and helps team members reduce waste and save time with the help of pre-assembly.
- MEP Engineers: Building different models using BIM can be challenging for MEP engineers. Modeling smaller elements such as electrical switches and outlets might be challenging but modeling larger elements such as duct systems and air handlers are a much easy option, giving a high value to MEP engineers.
- Owners: Ultimately, owners benefit the most from BIM because of reduced overall project cost. From the design process to completing the construction, owners see much value of BIM throughout the project.
- Specialty Contractors: The primary work of specialty contractors is to execute the complexities of a project. Though implementing BIM for the specialty contractors might prove expensive, it is worth in solving the complexities of the project.
- Building Product Manufacturers: Though very few team members see building product manufacturers gaining high value from BIM, it could help them a lot in the long-run.
A lot of professionals benefit from building information modeling including architects, MEP engineers, contractors, building product manufacturers, and more. It also helps in reducing rework while increasing productivity. It also helps professionals visualize how the building will look after completing and determining the effects of the facility on surrounding buildings. Business owners can also use it to acquire new clients, resulting in increase in revenue.