Published on July 4th, 2017 | by Guest0
Tips for Better Lighting: Using Today’s New Lighting Technology
Here’s a sad fact: majority of sales people who work in lighting stores will not tell you everything you need to know when deciding which type to buy or which product is better. They would probably provide you basic information just to get you to buy something, but they won’t offer anything more to help you properly decide which lighting product you should buy.
With the advancement in today’s lighting technology, it’s important to reach a good decision when buying the right lighting fixtures for your home. Keep in mind that currently, there are three main lighting types offering consumers the best value for their money – LED, halogen, and fluorescent (CFL) lights. LED lights are giving the other two a run for their money, and with good reason.
While deemed the most expensive of the three, time has proven LED lights as energy-efficient and cost-efficient, too. You’d end up saving a lot of money since you wouldn’t have to change light bulbs every so often, and you wouldn’t have to pay as much in utilities. Generally, when shopping for lights or lighting fixtures, there are four basic kinds to choose from – general lighting, accent lighting, decorative lighting, and task lighting.
Now to ensure you’re getting the most out of the lighting fixtures you’ll choose, here are a few tips to help you by:
- Different rooms in the house require different lighting. Your choice of light fixture must be reliant on the purpose of the room.
- Your choice of lighting must be influenced by the ambiance you are trying to create for a particular room in your house. Try to find out what kind of lighting will go well with the elements in each section of your house so they won’t look misplaced.
- Consider the dimensions of each room. Bear in mind that the lighting fixtures you need to choose must be able to illuminate the room properly.
- Make an effort to research on the types of bulbs that are capable of emitting sufficient light without costing you a fortune. It may seem time-consuming, complex even, since you would need to make basic calculations. However, the information you would glean would help you determine your energy consumption, as well as how much of your yearly budget would go towards it.
- Try to see if a bulb is fit for use indoors or not. The color temperature of the bulb will determine this. LED bulbs are commonly pricier than ordinary bulbs. Yet, they consume less power and last longer. So, a LED bulb is the most cost-efficient option.
- If you’re looking for an outdoor light, try the newest in solar LED technology, like a solar spotlight, for instance. This type of solar light eliminates the cover of darkness for intruders and robbers. Just how bright is a solar spotlight? Well, its output is equal to a 40-watt incandescent bulb, but it’s much more efficient because it’s energy saving, safe, and environmentally friendly.
- The key to proper lighting is to illuminate your home’s best features. Flank your fireplace with a pair of sconce up-lights as accents. These will draw attention to your living room’s centerpiece, even if you don’t have a steady fire going on the open hearth.
- Install up-light fixtures behind your appliance units. The glow that bounces off the ceiling provides a nice accent to an otherwise bland function room. Up-lights create the feeling of larger spaces because the pools are focused on the ceiling, extending the room’s vertical lines upward.
- Up-lights can also replace table lamps. You can place a row of these in a recessed panel along the wall, and then cover the opening with a long frosted pane of glass to diffuse the glow.
- Mix and match your lighting fixtures to complete your home’s overall ambiance.
Applying these tips to your lighting techniques would surely provide a significant makeover for your home.
Elena is a mother of two and working as a consultant for Sonica Led. If she’s not busy with her kids, she dabbles as an interior designer and food blogger.